[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] ANNOUNCE: first Grapefruit release

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Mon Feb 16 12:30:47 EST 2009

Am Montag, 16. Februar 2009 16:55 schrieben Sie:
> I would actually quite like to integrate Hieroglyph with Grapefruit,
> which would give you your Cairo support and give me a sensible way to
> implement events outside of my really rather broken model.

This sounds really interesting. Do you already have some concrete ideas?

The important thing for Grapefruit integration would be to provide signals of
pictures (i.e., time-varying pictures) instead of just static pictures. In
the classic Grapefruit version, we have a graphics package which defines a
special graphic signal type. For the current version, I’d prefer to use
Grapefruit’s standard signal types, applied to an ordinary picture type (type
of static pictures). This would mean a more composable solution (Grapefruit
does time-dependence and interaction and Hieroglyph does graphics).

However, there are situations where it cannot be ignored in Hieroglyph that
pictures can be modified. I think of compound pictures and of lists. These
should be updated incrementally but this wouldn’t work with ordinary lists
etc. Grapefruit is expected to have support for incremental list signals
soon.

By the way, I like your multi-backend approach (Cairo and OpenGL). If
Hieroglyph should act as the standard graphics library to use with
Grapefruit, I would very much like if Hieroglyph’s interface would be
designed as backend-independent as possible. For example, there is also 2D
graphics support in Qt. In my opinion, this would be worth supporting for use
in Qt-based applications. What are your plans concerning Hieroglyph backends?

Best wishes,
Wolfgang