[Haskell-cafe] ANN: The Typeclassopedia, and request for feedback

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Mon Feb 16 04:29:50 EST 2009

Hi all,

If you've noticed the lack of a HWN this week, that's because I've
been doggedly finishing my article entitled 'The Typeclassopedia',
which I have just submitted for publication in the Monad.Reader.
Here's the abstract:

    The standard Haskell libraries feature a number of type classes
    with algebraic or categorical underpinnings. Becoming a fluent
    Haskell hacker requires intimate familiarity with them all, yet
    acquiring this familiarity often involves combing through a
    mountain of tutorials, blog posts, mailing list archives, and IRC

    The goal of this article is to serve as a starting point for the
    student of Haskell wishing to gain a firm grasp of its standard
    type classes. The essentials of each type class are introduced,
    with examples, commentary, and extensive references for further

My hope is that this will be a valuable resource to the Haskell
community, especially those who are learning.  Any feedback would be
greatly appreciated, especially if it helps improve the article before
publication.  A draft can be found here:

Also see my blog post for a bit more info:

happy haskelling!