[Haskell-cafe] Intergalactic Telefunctors

Tillmann Rendel rendel at cs.au.dk
Sun Feb 15 12:09:29 EST 2009

Gregg Reynolds wrote:
> Came up with an alternative to the container metaphor for functors that you
> might find amusing:  http://syntax.wikidot.com/blog:9

You seem to describe Bifunctors (two objects from one category are
mapped to one object in another category), but Haskell's Functor class
is about Endofunctors (one object in one category is mapped to an object
in the same category). Therefore, your insistence on the alien universe
being totally different from our own is somewhat misleading, since in
Haskell, we are specifically dealing with the case that the alien
universe is just our own.

Moreover, you are mixing in the subject of algebraic data types (all we
know about (a, b) is that (,), fst and snd exist).

Personally, I do not see why one should explain something easy like
functors in terms of something complicated like quantum entanglement.

   Tillmann