[Haskell-cafe] Amazing

Rick R rick.richardson at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 19:37:32 EST 2009

I have been learning Haskell for the last two weeks and was relaying that
exact benefit to my friend in attempts to convert him. I spend 3 hours
getting a few functions to compile, but when they do, they just work. Every
time.

2009/2/14 Peter Verswyvelen <bugfact at gmail.com>

> One of the things I liked a lot when working with C# was that as soon as my
> code compiled, it usually worked after an iteration of two.At least if we
> forget about the nasty imperative debugging that is needed after a while
> because of unanticipated and unchecked runtime side effects.
> After heaving read about Haskell and having written some small programs for
> the last year or so, I'm now finally writing a bigger program with it. It is
> not so easy yet since learning a language and trying to reach a deadline at
> the same time is hard :)
>
> However, it is just amazing that whenever my Haskell program compiles
> (which to be fair can take a while for an average Haskeller like me ;-), it
> just... works! I have heard rumors that this was the case, but I can really
> confirm it.
>
> A bit hurray for strong typing! (and if you don't like it, you can still
> use Dynamic and Typeable ;-)

We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we
created them.
   - A. Einstein