[Haskell-cafe] Re: Overloading functions based on arguments?

John A. De Goes john at n-brain.net
Fri Feb 13 13:45:29 EST 2009

On Feb 13, 2009, at 11:32 AM, Jonathan Cast wrote:
> I believe the last time it was brought up, the proposal was that type
> inference should fail on certain typeable terms.  That doesn't count.

I'm referring to a rather conservative proposal wherein if there is
one and exactly one definition that allows an expression to type, then
name overloading in the same scope is permitted.

Aside from exponential performance in pathological (but unlikely)
cases, what issue do you have with such a proposal?

Regards,

John A. De Goes
N-BRAIN, Inc.
The Evolution of Collaboration