[Haskell-cafe] Re: Overloading functions based on arguments?

John A. De Goes john at n-brain.net
Fri Feb 13 13:29:08 EST 2009

On Feb 13, 2009, at 11:23 AM, Jonathan Cast wrote:
> Usually `when no ambiguity can arise', no?  Plenty of mathematical
> practice rests on imprecision and the expectation that the human
> reader
> will understand what you mean.  Haskell has to be understandable by
> the
> machine (which is less forgiving, but also more reasonable!) as well.

Yes, and name overloading is decidable for machines as well, as the
feature exists in numerous languages, and from time to time, we hear
talk of the feature for Haskell, as well.

> Unless you, say, enjoy having type inference or something.

Name overloading and type inference are not incompatible -- the issue
has been discussed here before, though I'm too lazy to dig up the
conversation.

Regards,

John A. De Goes
N-BRAIN, Inc.