[Haskell-cafe] Help needed with apache config for hackage

George Pollard porges at porg.es
Fri Feb 13 06:39:23 EST 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-13 at 10:58 +0000, Duncan Coutts wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Does anyone have any experience with apache configuration, particularly
> mime types and handling browser quirks and would like to help us with an
> issue we have on hackage?
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/498
>
> The problem is described in the ticket but basically IE6 gets confused
> by the Content-Type and Content-Encoding and ends up saving ".tar.gz"
> files with the wrong name ".tar.tar".
>
> We need help working out how to configure apache to use a workaround and
> with testing that the solution actually works.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Duncan

Currently the browser receives:

> HTTP/1.1 200 OK
> Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:15:22 GMT
> Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Debian)
> Last-Modified: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 07:55:57 GMT
> ETag: "38c010-46d-b361bd40"
> Accept-Ranges: bytes

You could try adding a Content-Disposition header to specify a file name:

In Apache you can (apparently [1],[2]) do it like this:

  RewriteRule "^packages/archive/[^/]+/[^/]+/(.+)$" - [env=pkgname:$1]
  Header set Content-Disposition "attachment; filename=\"%{pkgname}e\"" env=pkgname

[1]: http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/core.html#files
[2]: http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Server_Software/Web_Servers/Apache/Q_23054616.html

- George