[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Google Summer of Code 2009

Conrad Parker conrad at metadecks.org
Wed Feb 11 21:06:16 EST 2009

2009/2/12 Don Stewart <dons at galois.com>:
> Thanks for the analysis, this clarifies things greatly.
> Feasibility and scope is a big part of how we determine what projects to
> work on.

I agree that it's beyond the scope of a SoC project.

Rather than H.263 or H.264 I was going to suggest implementation of
Theora or OMS, both of which avoid the patent issues and have publicly
available specs:

http://theora.org/doc/Theora.pdf
http://www.openmediacommons.org/collateral/OMS-video-v0.9.pdf

Scanning those documents should give anyone a fair idea of the amount
of work involved. My understanding is that OMS is of a similar
complexity to H.263, and H.264 is more complex than any of these.

For Theora playback we've found that the largest CPU load comes from
colorspace conversion, where the YUV output of the codec needs to be
converted to RGB for some targets (like Firefox). That is some fairly
straightforward array processing, and would be a good place to start
for anyone trying to implement video codecs in Haskell.

Conrad.