[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Google Summer of Code 2009

Jamie haskell at datakids.org
Wed Feb 11 15:00:26 EST 2009

Hi Gwern,

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009, Gwern Branwen wrote:

>> I just checked H.263 and it looks like it does not require patent licensing
>> at all (it is created by ITU-T Video Coding Experts Group (VCEG)) so one can
>> write H.263 in Haskell and release freely without patent licensing issues.
>>
>> So writing H.263 in Haskell could be a good GSoC project.  One mentioned
>> that GHC produce slow code, well H.263 could be a good test case to improve
>> GHC optimization over time.  In The Computer Language Benchmarks Game,
>> Haskell has some catching up to do. :)
>
> It does sound like a reasonably discrete task, and it sounds like you
> have a use for it; but I wonder if it's doable in a single summer?

I have no idea, I have not dig deeper into H.263 C source code but I guess
it should be quite trivial as it is a black box with video frame input and
output with several parameters for encoding and just frame in/out for
decoding.

That could be a seed to create Haskell library of video/audio codecs.

One mentioned that C based ffmpeg library is buggy with memory leaks left
and center (and probably right too :)  Ouch!

> gwern

 	Jamie