[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Google Summer of Code 2009

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 14:45:33 EST 2009

2009/2/10 John Van Enk <vanenkj at gmail.com>:
> I'd like to see some good libgcrypt[1] bindings to complement our existing
> cryptography packages.
> /jve

Here are the projects I favor (in no particular order):

* I'd like to see the X-saiga parser library finished:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ticket/1558

* A GUI interface to Darcs
(http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ticket/17); this could
possibly be based on TortoiseDarcs
http://tortoisedarcs.sourceforge.net/. Perhaps the specific project
could be making TortoiseDarcs not Windows specific?

* Graphical reduction
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ticket/83 We already
have some of it done in Lambdabot, but a full implementation would be
very nice.

* Optimization of containers
(http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ticket/1549). Would
benefit every Haskell user very quickly.

* XMonad compositing support
(http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ticket/1548). XMonad
is one of the flagship applications of Haskell, and there are quite a
few would-be users of compositing support who either go without or
limp by with xcompmgr.

* Haddock in general could use work
(http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ticket/45). Everyone
uses Haddock, sooner or later...

* Sandboxed Haskell
(http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/summer-of-code/ticket/1114). This is
a personal wish of mine; safe code would certainly let me simplify
mueval!

--
gwern