[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Google Summer of Code 2009

Jamie haskell at datakids.org
Wed Feb 11 10:00:12 EST 2009

>> Seems like it is ok to write H.264 in Haskell and released via GPL license?
>>
>> There is theora.org but H.264 would be ideal.  Ditto for H.263.
>
> Software patent issues are entirely orthogonal to the copyright issues of who
> wrote what under which license. That's why software patents suck so very
> hard.
>
> See
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Software_patent#Free_and_open_source_software
> &
> https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Software_patents_and_free_software
>
> gwern

Thanks for the links.  What I understand is some standard body create the
specs, the role, the purpose, the protocols (i.e. H.323 by ITU
Telecommunication Standardization Sector) then one can create programs
that follow those protocols and don't have to concern about patent license
at all, is that correct?

I just checked H.264 and yes JVT (the creator of H.264/MPEG 4/AVC
specs/protocol) require patent licensing.  Oh well...  I guess JVT does
not do something with x264/ffmpeg cause they are totally free, but let say
if I include the H.264 code from x264/ffmpeg in my application and sell
for some $$$ then JVT's lawyers could run after me, is that correct?

I just checked H.263 and it looks like it does not require patent
licensing at all (it is created by ITU-T Video Coding Experts Group
(VCEG)) so one can write H.263 in Haskell and release freely without
patent licensing issues.

So writing H.263 in Haskell could be a good GSoC project.  One mentioned
that GHC produce slow code, well H.263 could be a good test case to
improve GHC optimization over time.  In The Computer Language Benchmarks
Game, Haskell has some catching up to do. :)

 	Jamie