[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Google Summer of Code 2009

Jamie haskell at datakids.org
Tue Feb 10 21:54:09 EST 2009

On Tue, 10 Feb 2009, Conrad Meyer wrote:

> On Tuesday 10 February 2009 07:18:00 am Jamie wrote:
>> What I would like to see is H.264 video codec in Haskell.  H.264/MPEG-4 is
>> getting very popular nowadays and it would be great to have encoder and
>> decoder in haskell.  Can use x264 (encoder) and ffmpeg (en/de coder)
>> as a base to start with.
>>
>>  	Jamie
>
> GSoC is run out of the US, where software patents would prevent a
> student from taking this task.

via http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html

"x264 is a free library for encoding H264/AVC video streams. The code is
written from scratch by Laurent Aimar, Loren Merritt, Eric Petit (OS X),
Min Chen (vfw/asm), Justin Clay (vfw), Måns Rullgård, Radek Czyz,
Christian Heine (asm), Alex Izvorski, and Alex Wright. It is released
under the terms of the GPL license."

Seems like it is ok to write H.264 in Haskell and released via GPL
license?

There is theora.org but H.264 would be ideal.  Ditto for H.263.

> Conrad Meyer <konrad at tylerc.org> >

 	Jamie