[Haskell-cafe] evaluation semantics of bind

Richard O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Tue Feb 10 19:44:10 EST 2009

On 11 Feb 2009, at 2:22 am, Gregg Reynolds wrote:
> Is the result of evaluation a thunk/suspension/closer?

As T. S. Eliot wrote,
   "Teach us to care and not to care
    Teach us to sit still."

There are some things it is better not to care about
and this is one of them.

> (Dash it, this really is getting us into White Knight land.)
>
> What's White Knight land?

 From Alice in Wonderland.

``You are sad,'' the Knight said in an anxious tone:
``let me sing you a song to comfort you.''

``Is it very long?'' Alice asked,
for she had heard a good deal of poetry that day.

``It's long,'' said the Knight,
``but it's very, {\it very} beautiful.
Everybody that hears me sing it---either
it brings tears to their eyes, or else---''

``Or else what?'' said Alice,
for the Knight had made a sudden pause.

``Or else it doesn't, you know.
The name of the song is called {\it `Haddocks' Eyes.'\/}{}''

``Oh, that's the name of the song, is it?''
Alice said, trying to feel interested.

``No, you don't understand,'' the Knight said,
looking a little vexed.
``That's what the name is {\it called}.
The name really {\it is `The Aged Aged Man.'\/}{}''

``Then I ought to have said, `That's what the {\it song}
is called?'' Alice corrected herself.

``No, you oughtn't:  that's quite another thing!
The {\it song} is called {\it `Ways and Means'\/}:
but that's only what it's {\it called}, you know.''

``Well, what {\it is} the song, then?'' said Alice,
who was by this time completely bewildered.

``I was coming to that,'' the Knight said.
``The song really {\it is `A-sitting On a Gate'\/}:
and the tune's my own invention.''