[Haskell-cafe] Changing version numbering schemes for HackageDB packages?

Corey O'Connor coreyoconnor at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 13:21:54 EST 2009

I released a new version of data-spacepart that resolved some of the
issues with the previous release. One issue I had was the previous
release used the version numbering scheme I use at work:
[date].[release] Which does not appear to work as well as the
traditional X.Y.Z release numbering scheme with Cabal. As part of the
new release I changed the version numbering scheme. An *obviously* bad
idea if I thought it through. Any [date].[release] style version
number is greater than a X.Y.Z version number until X gets rather

So what to do? Continue using the [date].[release] version numbering
scheme? Or is there a way to coax HackageDB to ignore the old release?

The new release is:

The old release is:

The "latest" release according to HackageDB is:

Which points to the old release.

-Corey O'Connor