[Haskell-cafe] Haddock Markup

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Tue Feb 10 06:35:27 EST 2009

Wolfgang Jeltsch schrieb:

> This reminds me of an idea which I had some time ago. The idea is to write all
> your documentation in Template Haskell, possibly using quasiquoting to
> support Haddock-like syntax. Then you could write math as ordinary Haskell
> expressions and embed these expressions into your documentation expressions.
> This would make the documentation language very extensible since you could
> always write your own extensions in the form of some Haskell code fragments
> or libraries.

If Template Haskell is capable of such processing that we be great since
we wouldn't need to develop a new tool, but can concentrate on writing
the transformations to TeX, MathML and so on.

And if someone wants to include chemical formulas he may write
appropriate transformations himself, upload them to Hackage, and cabal
will be able to install them when needed. Everything becomes scalable,
extensible, flexible and everything becomes great. Even versioning
conflicts will become possible for documentation generation. :-)