[Haskell-cafe] Looking for pointfree version

Edsko de Vries devriese at cs.tcd.ie
Mon Feb 9 09:18:18 EST 2009

Hi,

Is there a nice way to write

down :: Focus -> [Focus]
down p = concat [downPar p, downNew p, downTrans p]

in point-free style? (In doesn't make much difference what these
functions do; if it helps, their types are downPar, downNew,
downTrans :: Focus -> [Focus]).

Ideally, I would like to write something like

down = downPar ... downNew ... downTrans

but I'm not sure what should be on the dots. This works:

down = concat . flip map [downPar, downNew, downTrans] . flip ($)

but is extremely ugly and doesn't really explain what's going on :)
(It seems to me I should be able to take advantage of the list monad,
somehow).

Pointers appreciated!

Edsko