[Haskell-cafe] Monad explanation

Lennart Augustsson lennart at augustsson.net
Mon Feb 9 05:32:22 EST 2009

But an (IO Char) is a value.  You can do all the things with it that
you can do with values, e.g., pass it as an argument, stick it in a
list, etc.  It is a special kind of value, since if it ever "gets in
contact with" the top level it will be executed.
But the fact that IO types also behave as values makes Haskell a very
powerful imperative language.