[Haskell-cafe] The Haskell re-branding exercise

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 11:57:29 EST 2009

On Sat, Feb 7, 2009 at 4:40 PM, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:
> bulat.ziganshin:
>> Hello Don,
>>
>> Saturday, February 7, 2009, 8:20:23 PM, you wrote:
>>
>> > We need a voting site set up. There was some progress prior to the end
>> > of the year. Updates welcome!
>>
>> i think that there are a lot of free voting/survey services available.
>> the last one i went through was LimeSurvey available for any SF
>> project and on separate site too
>>
>> http://apps.sourceforge.net/trac/sitedocs/wiki/Hosted%20Apps
>> https://www.limeservice.com/
>>

> Before the new year's break, the progress we made towards deciding on a
> voting process was,
>
>    http://groups.google.com/group/fa.haskell/msg/5d0ad1a681b044c7
>
>    Eelco implemented a demo condorcet voting system in HAppS.
>
> He then asked for help with some decisions:
>
>    * Limit voting, if so how?  Email confirmation, IP based, vote once,  once per day?
>    * Maybe don't show the results until the contest is over?
>
> Eelco, can we do simple email-based confirm to encourage people to vote
> only once, and can we keep the results closed until the vote process is
> over?
>
> -- Don

We should limit voting, and limit based on IP. If we go via email,
then anyone wishing extra votes merely needs to use mailinator.com
(and its dozens of alternate domain names, to say nothing of
competitors providing similar services) to vote as many times as they
want. If we care about fraud, then it would be a very troublesome task
to filter out all those ways to fraudulently vote; if we don't care
about fraud, then email confirms are just a burden on honest users.

> Help identifying and implementing a voting process is very welcome.
> Snarky comments are not.

An open-ended search process is obviously hazardous to any schedule. A
logo is something that is better decided on sooner than later, since
the Haskell community (and uses of the logo) is growing.

Setting a deadline, even for a long time from now like a month or two,
has no downside: if we reach the deadline, then we have limited the
amount of time wasted; if a better system turns up before the
deadline, then the deadline was nugatory and of no harm.

--
gwern