[Haskell-cafe] Re: Switching from Mercurial to Darcs

Thomas Davie tom.davie at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 05:41:22 EST 2009

On 6 Feb 2009, at 10:12, Paolo Losi wrote:

> Henning Thielemann wrote:
>
>>> 4) hg commit -m "message"
>>> this commits my changes locally. I always do this before pulling
>>> since
>>> then I'm sure my changes are saved in the case a merge goes wrong.
>> In old darcs its precisely the other way round. Since it is so slow
>> on
>> merging ready patches, you better merge uncrecorded changes.
>
> IMO pulling & merging before commit is a good practise also for hg:
> it avoids a (very often useless) merge commit in the history.

I don't understand this view.  Isn't the point of a commit that you
flag working points.  In each branch, before you merge (hopefully) you
have a working repository, so flag it as such, and commit.  When you
merge, you may or may not have a working repository, fix it until it
is, and merge.

I would never do a merge without the two branches I was merging having
a commit just before the merge.

Bob