[Haskell-cafe] Haddock Markup

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Fri Feb 6 04:14:47 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 12:35 AM, David Waern <david.waern at gmail.com> wrote:
[..]
> As for running arbitrary commands, I think we are opening up to a lot
> of unfamiliar syntax. I'd like to hear what everyone thinks about
> that.

How do I find out what I need to install in order to build
documentation for a specific package on Hackage?  (Will cabal be
extended to introduce dependencies on tools?)

There's also the distinct risk that someone's system gets completely
hosed by running Haddock on a Haskell source file.  I'm not
necessarily saying it's a security problem (though that aspect is
worth considering), I'm more worried about someone writing Haddock
docs that rely on system layout.

I'd say limiting it to a set of application, a set that grows as
needed, where each tool satisfies the following:

 * readily available on all platforms that has a Haskell runtime that
Haddock is happy with
 * traditionally used to process or generate text/images (somewhat
vague but e.g. no cop-out by adding bash to the set)

Adding LaTeX now, and other tools as needed/requested later would be
my suggestion.

/M