[Haskell-cafe] Signatures in defining functions

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 18:21:12 EST 2009

Maybe you mean that

f :: Int -> Int -> Int

does not say much about what the function does since the Int arguments have
no "name" in Haskell?

E.g. the following might "mean" more, but is not valid Haskell:

f :: numerator:Int -> denominator:Int -> quotient:Int

In Haskell you regularly see documentation that says: "the 4th argument of
dpSwitch is ..., the 7th argument of dpSwitch is ..."

That's okay, since it trains you at counting :-) Of course, I'm being
sarcastic.

But most of the time, this is not an issue, since functions usually only
have a few arguments, or have argument types that tell more.