[Haskell-cafe] Switching from Mercurial to Darcs

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Thu Feb 5 17:34:53 EST 2009

Peter Verswyvelen schrieb:

> 3) hg addrem
> this adds new files and removes deleted files from local repos.
> forgetting to add files is a common problem, and is really tricky since
> no record is made of these files, so if after a couple of versions if a
> developer finds out a file was missing, the history is useless since you
> can't reconstruct the old content of that local file anymore, and often
> it's impossible to give the local file to the other developers since it
> might be changed. I actually would like to have an option that
> automatically adds/deletes files on each commit, as it is easier to
> delete a file after it is checked in, than it is to reconstruct an old
> version from a local file you forgot to add.

I'm also not glad with darcs behaviour about non-added files. You can try

darcs whatsnew --look-for-adds

David Roundy's philosophy is that you must add a test compilation with
'darcs setprefs' anyway and this one reveals forgotten files.

> 4) hg commit -m "message"
> this commits my changes locally. I always do this before pulling since
> then I'm sure my changes are saved in the case a merge goes wrong.

In old darcs its precisely the other way round. Since it is so slow on
merging ready patches, you better merge uncrecorded changes.