[Haskell-cafe] Just how unsafe is unsafe

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 17:16:56 EST 2009

I do have asked myself the question whether a "really random generating"
function could be regarded as "pure" somehow (actually would a true random
function still be a mathematical function?)
E.g. the function would return a true (not pseudo) random number,
practically unpredictable (e.g. hardware assisted, using some physical
phenomenon, e.g. using atmospheric noise or something). So you surely won't
get referential transparency but since the function is really random, this
would be correct behavior?

Of course you could just put this random generator in the IO monad, but
certain algorithms- like Monte Carlo - intuitively don't seem to operate in
a IO monad to me.

Okay, just some thoughts from someone who knows absolutely nothing about
category theory or advanced computer science, so don't shoot me ;-)