[Haskell-cafe] Monad explanation

Andrew Wagner wagner.andrew at gmail.com
Thu Feb 5 14:25:29 EST 2009

> I think the point of the Monad is that it works as a container of stuff,
>> that still allows mathematically pure things to happen, while possibly
>> having some opaque "other stuff" going on.

 This at least sounds, very wrong, even if it's not. Monads are not impure.
IO is, but it's only _one_ instance of Monad. All others, as far as I know,
are pure. It's just that the bind operation allows you to hide the stuff you
don't want to have to worry about, that should happen every time you compose
two monadic actions.