[Haskell-cafe] Switching from Mercurial to Darcs

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Thu Feb 5 10:32:28 EST 2009

Peter Verswyvelen <bugfact at gmail.com> writes:

> 1) hg st

  darcs cha -s

> lists just the filenames of changed, deleted, new files (with a char prefix
> to show what kind of change it is).

> 2) modify .hgignore to make sure only these files are added that are part of
> the project. I want this process to be automated, I don't want to check each
> time which files to add, since this is error prone.

I'm not sure what you want, but I only add files manually with

  darcs add <filename>

> 3) hg addrem

> this adds new files and removes deleted files from local repos.

I don't quite understand what you're asking here.

> 4) hg commit -m "message"

> this commits my changes locally. I always do this before pulling since then
> I'm sure my changes are saved in the case a merge goes wrong.

  darcs rec -m "message"

> 5) hg pull -u

> this pulls in changes, and updates and merges the files, using a visual
> merger of my preference.

  darcs pull [-a]

No visual merger, instead conflicts are marked and you need to work it
out.  This is a bit clumsy, but since darcs is smart about merging, it
doesn't happen too often.  <knocks on wood>

> 6) hg commit -m "merged"
>     hg push

  darcs rec -m "merged"
  darcs send