[Haskell-cafe] Re: ANN: #haskell-in-depth IRC channel

Benjamin L.Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Wed Feb 4 00:32:58 EST 2009

On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 00:15:48 +0000, Philippa Cowderoy
<flippa at flippac.org> wrote:

>If you need to know how to use monads so you can do IO,
>#haskell-in-depth isn't the place. On the other hand, if you want to
>discuss how Haskell's monads compare to the category theory or what the
>category theory can tell us about how individual monads relate to the
>language as a whole, -in-depth is a good place! In particular, we're
>hoping that the kind of category theory discussions that give the
>mistaken impression you actually need to know CT will increasingly live
>in #haskell-in-depth.
>We're not after a theory channel though - architectural discussion,
>compiler implementation, possible type system extensions, library
>design, all are good subjects.

Great work!  I look forward to participating sometime in the near

In that case, for people who need to know how to use monads so that
they can do IO, why not create a #haskell-beginners channel?  I have
occasionally read posts of some users who were hesitant to participate
in #haskell until they learned enough to keep up with the discussions
there.  If neither #haskell nor #haskell-in-depth is appropriate,
perhaps they would feel more comfortable in a
Haskell-beginners-specific channel?

-- Benjamin L. Russell
-- Matsuo Basho^