[Haskell-cafe] Re: 1,000 packages, so let's build a few!

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 03:26:23 EST 2009

Hi

> GHC doesn't  bundle with cabal-install on any system.
>
> What is needed is not for the GHC team to be doing Windows platform
> packages, but for the Windows Haskell devs to build their own system, as
> happens on all the Unices.
>
> Take GHC's release, wrap it up with native installers, throw in useful
> libraries and executables like cabal. Done.

GHC already takes the GHC release, bundles it up with a native
installer, and then throws in useful executables like gcc. It just
stops one hop short of "done". Windows is special, we already treat
Windows special, but currently its just short of useable.

Duncan: Saying cabal.exe isn't mature enough to go in 6.10 is a
perfect reason, but one that you never gave at the time. If it isn't
ready, then that's fine. But if thats the case, will it be in 6.12, or
will the standard Windows instructions involve hunting around
haskell.org for a prebuild Cabal.exe?

Thanks

Neil