[Haskell-cafe] Re: type metaphysics

Gregg Reynolds dev at mobileink.com
Tue Feb 3 01:15:07 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 11:14 PM, <oleg at okmij.org> wrote:

> I believe the original notion of type by Russell is most insightful,
> bridging the semantic notion of type (type as a set of values) and the
> syntactic notion (type system as a syntactic discipline, a statically
> decidable restriction on terms).
>
> That point is discussed at some length in Sec 3 (pp. 7-8) of
>        http://okmij.org/ftp/Computation/FLOLAC/lecture.pdf

Fantastic!  That's exactly the sort (heh) of thing I was looking for.

> Incidentally, Russell has published his paper that introduced types as
> we in Computer Science know them in 1908. Last year there was 100th
> anniversary of types. I have been trying to prompt people to have a
> party and celebrate the occasion -- alas, to no avail.

Also the 100th anniversary of Zermelo's "Untersuchungen über die Grundlagen
der Mengenlehre I" (Investigations in the foundations of set theory) -
pretty tough competition.  Maybe a "Set Theory v. Type Theory All-star
Smackdown" would draw a crowd.  Lots of beer, mud-wrestling, monster trucks,
that sort of thing.

Thanks much,

gregg