[Haskell-cafe] Re: circular dependencies in cabal

Valentyn Kamyshenko kamysh at kamysh.org
Mon Feb 2 22:16:59 EST 2009

Hi Duncan,

The major problem that I see is with
  # cabal update
  # cabal upgrade
sequence of operations (that is, upgrading all installed packages).
I use this regularly to keep packages that I use (or are going to use)
up to date.
This is the functionality that, I suppose, everybody expects from the
system like hackage/cabal.

And, so far as I can see, the major problem is that 'cabal upgrade'
will happily upgrade packages, that the core package depends on, and
eventually will create configuration with circular dependencies.
Can we do something simple - like, for example, forbidding updates of
the packages that the core depends on (directly and indirectly)?

-- Valentyn.