[Haskell-cafe] type metaphysics

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Mon Feb 2 20:51:47 EST 2009

Gregg Reynolds wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The concept of "type" seems to be a little like porno:  I know it when
> I see it, but I can't define it (apologies to Justice Stewart).  I've
> picked through lots of documents that discuss types in various ways,
> but I have yet to find one that actually says what a type "really" is.
>  For example, definitions of the typed lambda calculus usually define
> some type symbols and rules like "a : T means a is of type T", and
> then reasoning ensues without discussion of what "type" means.

The non-explication of types is intentional: by not saying anything
about what a type is (other than that values/expressions can have one)
that frees the theory to operate generally, regardless of what types
actually are in any specific instantiation. When trying to say as little
as possible, people frequently refer to them as "sorts". By calling them
"types" we often mean we know a little bit more about them than sorts;
though the terminology is relatively interchangeable.

Not that this helps you any.

> The only discussion I've found that addresses this is at the Stanford
> Encyclopedia of Philosophy, article "Types and Tokens" [1].  It's all
> very philosophical, but there is one point there that I think has
> relevance to Haskell.  It's in section 4.1, discussing the distinction
> between types and sets:

The type--token distinction uses a different notion of type. In this
context "type" means a sort of platonic notion of some thing (a value
idealized), whereas "tokens" are specific instantiations/references to
that thing. Consider, for example, the English word "Foo". When
discussing Foo generally as a word in the English language, we're
discussing the type Foo. But if I'm doing natural language parsing on
this email, each time that three-letter sequence occurs is a different
token (or instance, or use-in-context) of the type. In NLP/MT the
distinction is helpful because, due to context, different tokens of the
same type may need different treatment even though they're "the same
word". For example, if "the" occurs fifteen times in a sentence, we
probably shouldn't translate all of them into a single occurence of
"der" in the German translation.

Mathematically this is the same distinction between the idea of 1
(choose any particular idea), vs the usage of 1. Due to referential
transparency we don't tend to worry about this in Haskell since all
tokens are interchangeable. Consider instead an object-oriented
language. We can have an object over here that is "1", and it's separate
from an object over there that's also "1". We can have mutation which
makes one of the tokens different, say "2", without affecting the other
token (though now they are no longer tokens of the same type). This is
different from making the *type* different, which would affect all its
tokens.

(And philosophically it matters because of the relation to whether the
presence or absence of a token is effectful on the definitions of other
things, e.g. sets or species as in your citation.)

Obviously this has some relation to the programmatic theory of types,
but it's indirect. In the NLP/MT context the mapping from tokens to
types is fairly straightforward, but in general there's the question of
how we do the mapping which depends entirely on what our types look
like. For example, is "Fooing" or "Fooer" a token of Foo, or do there
exist types Fooing and Fooer instead? Usually in programming, singleton
types aren't too helpful and so we use types that include all the
"inflected forms" as well. But there are times when we do want to break
these types apart into smaller types (via OOP inheritance, via case
matching, via distinguishing instances of the same value,...).

--
Live well,
~wren