[Haskell-cafe] Re: 1,000 packages, so let's build a few!

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon Feb 2 17:43:28 EST 2009

On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 10:07:57AM +0000, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi

The nix package manager (although beeing primarly a linux tool) can run
on cygwin as well (at least it did some time ago)..
I'd suggest trying that to package windows libraries. It dose generate
tag files for you automatically as well. At least it can build
dependencies such as C libraries and so on for you automatically as
well.

Unfortunately I don't have time to work on the windows port.

The cool thing about nix is: You can always switch back to the previous
generation if something breaks. It organizes the packages like a memory
management system. You only reference the target and the deps in between
will be build / removed automatically for you if they are no longer
used when running the nix garbage collector. There is another drawback:
It definitely only works on a ntfs partition. On the other hand it does
also support binary distributions and install software by clicking on
links.

In the end this is perfect for developping (IMHO) even if you have to
learn a lot at the beginning.

My major problem hindering my starting to work on this is that cygwin
doesn't run on Vista running in kvm/ qemu. sh.exe exits and that's
it.

So if you have a solution for that I'd consider resuming work on it

Sincerly
Marc Weber