[Haskell-cafe] UDP

Vimal j.vimal at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 21:07:55 EST 2009

2009/2/1 Andrew Coppin <andrewcoppin at btinternet.com>:

> Yeah, I just assumed that the bind step was only necessary for
> connection-oriented protocols. (Interestingly enough, the matching "send"
> program doesn't bind at all, yet seems to work fine...)

socket() system call creates a socket (a descriptor) that you can
identify. bind() creates an identity for the socket so that
applications outside can refer to it (using ip:port); it also enables
the kernel to pass the received data to your application. sendto()
doesn't require that identity.

--
Vimal