[Haskell-cafe] cabal list can't find Glob.cabal file?

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Feb 1 19:01:49 EST 2009

On Sun, 2009-02-01 at 23:04 +0000, Dougal Stanton wrote:
> I get a curious message when trying to run 'cabal list':
>
> $ cabal list
>
>       ....omit some lines...
>       Latest version available: 0.3
>       Category: Network
>       Synopsis: Pure bindings for the MaxMind IP database.
>       License:  OtherLicense
>
> cabal: Couldn't read cabal file "./Glob/0.1/Glob.cabal"

Cabal-1.4 cannot read some .cabal files that use new syntactic
constructs added in Cabal-1.6. The cabal-install program does not handle
this fact very gracefully.

> Any ideas? As far as Hackage and the local index are concerned, 0.1
> isn't even a recent version of Glob. Why should it be looking for the
> file?

It's a good point, it should not need to parse the .cabal file of the
older version. However that's just a performance thing, the newer
versions will have the same issue.

> cabal-install version 0.5.1
> using version 1.4.0.1 of the Cabal library

The solution is to upgrade:

$ cabal install cabal-install

$ cabal --version
cabal-install version 0.6.0
using version 1.6.0.1 of the Cabal library

Duncan