[Haskell-cafe] Haskeline, pcre-light, iconv and Cabal on OSX

Antoine Latter aslatter at gmail.com
Sun Feb 1 13:43:11 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 12:04 PM, Antoine Latter <aslatter at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 1, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Thomas Davie <tom.davie at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is caused by OS X's libiconv being entirely CPP macros, the FFI has
>> nothing to get hold of.  IIRC there's a ghc bug report open for it.
>>
>> Bob
>>

> So why does it sometimes work?  I can write and compile executables
> using haskeline, both with 'ghc --make' and 'cabal configure && cabal
> build'.
>
> This sounds like something I can patch haskeline to account for, then?

After a bit of digging, I saw this snippet in the .cabal file for the
iconv package on hackage:

  -- We need to compile via C because on some platforms (notably darwin)
  -- iconv is a macro rather than real C function. doh!
  ghc-options:     -fvia-C -Wall
<<<<<

But it looks like the 'iconv' package is broken in the exact same way
for me - I get the same crazy linker errors.

Thanks,

Antoine