[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why binding to existing widget toolkits doesn't make any sense

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Sun Feb 1 08:24:24 EST 2009

On Sat, 2009-01-31 at 22:47 +0100, Peter Verswyvelen wrote:
> I should have mentioned that my tests have been done only on Windows
> and OSX.

Ah, right. Well there are Win32 and Quartz backends too.

> I guess I would have to try on a system that supports XRender to
> compare.

> Unfortunately, the target audience of our application are mostly
> windows and OSX users, so although it would be great that Cairo
> performs fast on unix variants, it would be of little value to us,
> unless of course XRender also runs on Windows/OSX somehow :)

I have heard that in some cases there is a mismatch in the semantics of
Cairo and Quartz which requires falling back to software rendering in
some cases. It may be you're hitting those cases. You could send your
examples to the cairo folks:

http://cairographics.org/FAQ/#profiling

Duncan