[Haskell-cafe] Re: Data.Ring -- Pre-announce

Twan van Laarhoven twanvl at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 15:29:46 EST 2009

John Van Enk wrote:
> Hi Heinrich,
> I think I like Ring more than Necklace or Tom's suggestion of Circular.
> I chose Ring simply because that's what I was searching for when I
> wanted the data structure. The package will be named data-ring, so that
> should hopefully be enough to clue in the user that it's not dealing
> with the mathematical concept.

The mathematical concept would likely also go in Data, unfortunately. See for
example Data.Monoid. If someone does at a Ring class sometime, it is very likely
to go into Data.Ring, which would lead to conflicts. In fact it already exists,
see the "monoids" package [1]

I would prefer the name RingList or CircularList. As long as you put the word
"ring" in the package description users will still find it when searching on