[Haskell-cafe] Installing Haskell on Windows 7

Sebastian Sylvan sebastian.sylvan at gmail.com
Sun Dec 27 05:51:10 EST 2009

On Sun, Dec 27, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Thomas Hühn <xf27 at arcor.de> wrote:

> Has anyone who is *not* a Haskell/ghc/cabal expert been able to
> install Haskell satisfactorily on Windows 7?

It worked fine for me, but then I didn't try to do anything fancy. The
data-dir and prefix you mention is where cabal installs all my packages,
FWIW. Not being able to access them would be a problem! You can customize it
with --data-dir and --prefix on the cabal install command line, I think. Not
sure if that's the reason your initial installation wasn't working though...

Also, if a library fails to build because of your ghc version, you can
install a specific version of that library instead. E.g. for haddock you see
that the failing version was 2.4.2 but if you leave out the version number
cabal will fetch the latest one for you, which isn't compatible with GHC
6.10.

--
Sebastian Sylvan