[Haskell-cafe] Memory-aware Haskell?

John Van Enk vanenkj at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 17:46:30 EST 2009

This is a problem with partitioned operating systems used in avionics. The
airplane computers require certain partitions to exist between programs in
both time and space. The space guarantees are most easily enforced by
eliminating any dynamic memory allocation once the operating system enters a
'normal mode'. This means that all memory needs to be allocated on the stack
and ahead of time.

This reduces the calculation of the upper memory bound to checking what the
largest possible stack a process could grow to is. Of course, calculating
this maximum stack is difficult in its own right.

Unfortunately, nothing I've just discussed seems to port well to Haskell (I
could be wrong!). Given this, I think you're looking at a very hard problem
(but one I'd be incredibly interested in discovering a solution for!).

/jve