[Haskell-cafe] Cabal's License type: MIT commented out?

Tom Tobin korpios at korpios.com
Wed Dec 23 19:16:51 EST 2009

I noticed on Hackage that packages that are MIT licensed show up as
"OtherLicense".  I took a peek inside the Cabal code, and noticed that
the License type has lines for MIT, but commented out [1]:

> --    -- | The MIT license, similar to the BSD3. Very free license.
> --  | MIT

Why is this?  Both the BSD3 and BSD4 get entries in this module.  It
would be nice to know up-front that a license is indeed liberal
(BSD/MIT) rather than having to open up the package and look at the
LICENSE file.  (I also use the MIT license for my code, and would like
to avoid confusing people once I start distributing Haskell
libraries.)

[1] http://hackage.haskell.org/packages/archive/Cabal/latest/doc/html/src/Distribution-License.html#License