[Haskell-cafe] GHC 6.12 on OS X 10.5

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Wed Dec 23 00:36:33 EST 2009

Aaron Tomb wrote:
> I've come across the issue with iconv, as well.
>
> The problem seems to be that some versions of iconv define iconv_open
> and some related functions as macros (that then call libiconv_open,
> etc.), and some versions of iconv have exported functions for
> everything. In particular, the iconv bundled with OS X (1.11) defines
> iconv_open, but the iconv installed with MacPorts (1.13) does not. The
> binary package for GHC 6.12.1 seems to have been compiled on a system
> without MacPorts, and therefore references iconv_open (etc.) from the
> Apple-distributed version of the library.
>
> If you set up an installation of GHC 6.12 on OS X (I've only tried 10.5)
> with no references to /opt/local/lib, everything works fine. If you
> include /opt/local/lib in the extra-lib-dirs field of your .cabal/config
> file, it tries to link with the MacPorts version and fails with
> undefined references.

Is this a problem with *versions* of iconv, or with branches/forks? If
it's versions, then it seems like migrating to >=1.13 would be good for
everyone. If it's just branches, do you know whether this afflicts Fink
users as well as MacPorts users, or should I be the guinea pig to test that?

--
Live well,
~wren