[Haskell-cafe] Is it just me... or is cabal/hackage a little broken?

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Tue Dec 22 18:14:04 EST 2009

Hi all,

Sorry about the inflammatory title, but I just got this message from an
uploaded package ("hums"):

   Warning: This package indirectly depends on multiple versions of the
   same package. This is highly likely to cause a compile failure.

The thing is, I got the same message while trying to compile locally and
it turned out that all I had to do was to

    $ cabal install <PKG-X>

on all the packages that cabal complained about. So why doesn't hackage
do this automagically when I upload a package? How am I supposed to know
which versions of my package's dependencies (or their dependencies) are
the most recently compiled by hackage?

For the record: I did do a "Check package" upload first. It didn't complain.

Is this an intractable problem? Am I being overly demanding (probably)?

Cheers,

Bárður