[Haskell-cafe] Are functional dependencies around to stay?

Eduard Sergeev Eduard.Sergeev at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 12:18:47 EST 2009

Hi Stephen,

Stephen Tetley-2 wrote:
> Currently this seems a more like a rumour than a fact - from [1] Type
> Families and Fun Deps are equivalently expressive which seems a
> worthwhile point to restate.

I've got the same impresion initially and was keen to use TF in favor to FD.
And I'm probably missing something here... but here is wiki example which, I
think, gives an example of the 'difference' I was refering to:
http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/GHC/AdvancedOverlap (see '2 Notes and
variations', last part).

As an additional example I can point to Oleg Kiselyov's TypeCast
implementation (http://okmij.org/ftp/Haskell/deepest-functor.lhs), here is
its slightly modified version:

{-# OPTIONS -fglasgow-exts #-}
{-# OPTIONS -fallow-undecidable-instances #-}
{-# OPTIONS -fallow-overlapping-instances #-}

module FMAP where

data Atom

-- Check if a type is a collection type. This is the only typeclass that
-- needs overlapping instances
class IsCollection  t coll | t -> coll
instance IsCollection (m a) (m ())
instance Atom ~ coll => IsCollection t coll

-- The desired deep functor. Needs no overlapping instances
class Funct a b c1 c2 | c1 -> a, c1 b -> c2 where
    f_map :: (a -> b) -> c1 -> c2

instance (IsCollection c1 coll, Funct' coll a b c1 c2)
    => Funct a b c1 c2 where
    f_map = f_map' (undefined::coll)

class Funct' coll a b c1 c2 | coll c1 -> a, coll c1 b -> c2 where
    f_map' :: coll -> (a -> b) -> c1 -> c2

instance Funct' Atom a b a b where
    f_map' _ = id

instance (Functor m, Funct a b c d) => Funct' (m ()) a b (m c) (m d) where
    f_map' _ = fmap . f_map

test1 = f_map (+1) [[[1::Int,2,3]]]
test2 = f_map not [[True], [False]]
test3 = f_map not (Just [Just True, Nothing])
test4 = f_map not (print "here" >>
                   return (Just (Just [Just [True], Nothing])))
        >>= print

Still I am not sure how to rewrite this example using Type Families..