[Haskell-cafe] GHC 6.12 on OS X 10.5

Aaron Tomb atomb at galois.com
Mon Dec 21 18:45:02 EST 2009

On Dec 21, 2009, at 2:44 PM, Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> On Dec 21, 2009, at 17:39 , Aaron Tomb wrote:
>> The problem seems to be that some versions of iconv define
>> iconv_open and some related functions as macros (that then call
>> libiconv_open, etc.), and some versions of iconv have exported
>> functions for everything. In particular, the iconv bundled with OS
>> X (1.11) defines iconv_open, but the iconv installed with MacPorts
>> (1.13) does not. The binary package for GHC 6.12.1 seems to have
>> been compiled on a system without MacPorts, and therefore
>> references iconv_open (etc.) from the Apple-distributed version of
>> the library.
>
> Perhaps the best fix for this is to submit an updated GHC port to
> MacPorts.

This is certainly a possibility. I believe that a GHC built against
MacPorts would work properly on a system with MacPorts installed.
However, the downside of that approach is that any binary compiled
with such a GHC could _only_ be run on a system with MacPorts installed.

I'd love to have a GHC that would play nicely with MacPorts, but not
depend on it unless necessary (where "necessary" means "when I use a
package that links to a C library only available via MacPorts")

Aaron