[Haskell-cafe] Restrictions on associated types for classes

Martin Sulzmann martin.sulzmann.haskell at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 17 15:15:27 EST 2009

The statements

class Cl [a] => Cl a

and

instance Cl a => Cl [a]

(I omit the type family constructor in the head for simplicyt)

state the same (logical) property:

For each Cl t there must exist Cl [t].

Their operational meaning is different under the dictionary-passing
translation [1].
The instance declaration says we build dictionary Cl [a] given the
dictionary Cl [a]. The super class declaration says that the dictionary for
Cl [a]
must be derivable (extractable) from Cl a's dictionary. So, here
we run into a cycle (on the level of terms as well as type inference).

However, if we'd adopt a type-passing translation [2] (similar to
dynamic method lookup in oo languages) then there isn't
necessarily a cycle (for terms and type inference). Of course,
we still have to verify the 'cyclic' property which smells like
we run into non-termination if we assume some inductive reason
(but we might be fine applying co-induction).

-Martin

[1] Cordelia V. Hall, Kevin
Hammond<http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/%7Eley/db/indices/a-tree/h/Hammond:Kevin.html>,
Simon L. Peyton
Jones<http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/%7Eley/db/indices/a-tree/j/Jones:Simon_L=_Peyton.html>,
Philip Wadler<http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/%7Eley/db/indices/a-tree/w/Wadler:Philip.html>:
Type Classes in Haskell. ACM Trans. Program. Lang. Syst.
18<http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/%7Eley/db/journals/toplas/toplas18.html#HallHJW96>(2):
109-138 (1996)

[2] Satish R. Thatte: Semantics of Type Classes Revisited. LISP and
Functional Programming
1994<http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/%7Eley/db/conf/lfp/lfp1994.html#Thatte94>:
208-219