[Haskell-cafe] Design question

Stephen Tetley stephen.tetley at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 08:42:04 EST 2009

Ohhh...

SVG is a truly horrible format though, that almost completely
disguises the fact you are working with geometry. Being rude about the
designers, its as if they realized half way through the job that
putting a function-free PostScript into angle brackets was far too
verbose, so they added several dozen convenience operations to over
egg the pudding (whilst burying Paths - the primordial element of
vector graphics - as a string literal).

Three years ago I tried to embed SVG in Oleg Kiselyov's CSXML. CSXML
is nice and gives you a lot of flexibility but can't disguise SVG's
failings.

I'd strongly recommend you simply choose a set of geometric objects
paths, polygons, whatever... and work with those, only considering SVG
as a final rendering step when you could probably just generate
strings (Wumpus my latest attempt a vector pictures does this).

Hope this helps - I can send you my SVG CXSML if you like but it
really isn't an approach I'd consider anymore.

Best wishes

Stephen