[Haskell-cafe] changelogs for packages on Hackage

Valery V. Vorotyntsev valery.vv at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 10:29:17 EST 2009

Duncan Coutts <duncan.coutts at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Yep it's a fair point.
>
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/ticket/299
>
> Some packages have a changelog file in them that we could display,
> though most don't. For those that do have a changelog, how we avoid
> displaying all of history is a bit tricky. For those that do not,
> ideally we could derive a changelog by looking at the difference in the
> API. The latter requires a tool we've not written yet.

We could mimic Debian's approach.

Debian policy requires changelogs of standard format. [1]

These changelogs are updated with debchange(1) tool and can be parsed
with parsechangelog(1p). [2,3]

See example. [4]

  [1] http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-source.html#s-dpkgchangelog
  [2] http://manpages.debian.net/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=debchange