[Haskell-cafe] Re: How Can Haskell Be Saved?

Erik de Castro Lopo mle+hs at mega-nerd.com
Mon Dec 14 14:43:54 EST 2009

All replies to the list please.

John D. Earle wrote:

> When I came to the Haskell mailing list I intended to advance a thought
> which I never got around to and since we are on the topic. I ran into
> problems building Haskell from source and I reasoned that since the build
> system has a POSIX flavor it might be better to officially build Haskell on
> Windows using SUA. The keyword here is "officially". There is a MinGW Linux
> cross compiler that allows you to compile a program on Linux that will run
> on Windows.
>
> A problem with using a cross compiler is you won't get to run the test
> suite.

The windows API reimplementation Wine is not godd for must things but
should be  more than adequate to run test suites.

For libsndfile I release pre-compiled windows binaries that have been
cross compiler from Linux to windows. I run the rather comprehensive
libsndfile test suite under Wine and it works very well indeed.
Unfortunately Wine currently only supports 32 bit windows. For 64 bit
windows I still cross compile from Linux, but I then generate a testsuite
tarball that contains all the binaries required to run the test suite.
This can then be transferred to the target machine and run in a MinGW
or Cygwin shell.

Erik