[Haskell-cafe] Re: Why?

pbrowne Patrick.Browne at comp.dit.ie
Fri Dec 11 14:08:39 EST 2009

Luke Palmer wrote:
> I admit that I don't fully know what you are talking about.  What do
> you mean by logical meaning -- as opposed to what other sort of
> meaning?

Consider Maude's rewrite logic RWL[1] which has similar inference rules
as equational logic(EL), but without the symmetry rule. From [1], the
*logical* meaning in RWL regards the rules of rewriting logic as
meta-rules for correct deduction in a logical system. Logically, each
rewriting step is a logical entailment in a formal system.
Note that the particular logic may vary (e.g. EL,FOPL, RWL).

[1]http://maude.cs.uiuc.edu/maude1/manual/maude-manual-html/maude-manual_62.html