[Haskell-cafe] Fwd: Will GHC finally support epoll in 2009?

Johann Höchtl johann.hoechtl at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 02:35:33 EST 2009

Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 5:01 AM, Johann Höchtl
> <johann.hoechtl at gmail.com <mailto:johann.hoechtl at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     > Yes. I'm working on a patch at the moment.
>
>     Is there something planed to happen in 2010?
>

> Retooling the I/O manager isn't a huge job, but it requires the
> equivalent of several weeks of work. I tossed out my initial attempt
> at a patch because I didn't have time to work on it, so I'm back to
> square one. Johan Tibell and I have had occasional discussions about
> picking up the thread again, but we've had a busy year and it's
> moderately demanding work, so nothing has actually happened.
>
> If I develop the time and energy to take a serious crack at it, I will
> post here to let people know. This would be an effort where having
> multiple people work on different implementations concurrently would
> be a shame.
Yes, this is definitely a vital point of the runtime which requires
carefull handling. I doubt that the estimated effort in
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/ticket/635 reflects reality;)

However, factor (factorcode.org) implemented epoll, kqueue (for BSDs and
MacOS) and |GetQueuedCompletionStatus for Windows in 2008. In this case
the blog http://factor-language.blogspot.com/search?q=epoll and the irc
logs
http://www.google.com/search?q=epoll+site%3Atunes.org%2F~nef%2F%2Flogs%2Fconcatenative%2F&btnG=Search&hl=en&tbo=1&sa=2
might be helpful for a start and to avoid pitfals.

Regards,

   Johann