[Haskell-cafe] Re: Nano-Languages

John D. Earle JohnDEarle at cox.net
Thu Dec 10 11:59:59 EST 2009

Vladimir, I do not mind becoming more familiar with the internals, but as
you pointed out that Template Haskell may provided much of the needed
functionality. I tend to doubt that it will provide all the needed
functionality, however. The new syntax created by the syntax macros will
either reinterpret a preexisting production in the language or will create a
new one which may be based on a preexisting production, a variant. In the
latter case, the compiler will have a knee jerk reaction. It will feel that
the structure is grammatically illegal! This knee jerk would need to be
intercepted and assigned an interpretation. We would then need to calm the
compiler down and say its ok.